My Career Sucks Would Suck Without Clive

Four decades after beginning his career in the record industry, Clive Davis is still the maven of music. As the CEO of RCA Music Group, Davis not only guided inaugural Idol Kelly Clarkson to the most successful point of her career, but he produced it. Her sophomore album Breakaway popped out four top ten singles including the monster hit "Since U Been Gone" and won the 2006 Grammy award for Best Pop Vocal Album.

When it came time to release her third album, things weren't so peachy. My December was a record of dark confessional songs that were far less commercial than those of its predecessor. Davis reportedly offered Clarkson $10 million to drop some songs in favor of more radio friendly tracks written by such hitmakers as Max Martin and Dr. Luke. Clarkson refused and dismal sales and a canceled tour followed.

Still, Clarkson didn't back down. "I'm going to be real honest with you: I am not a fan. I do respect him [Clive Davis], but I don't want to barbecue with him. We don't braid each other's hair. And despite the rumors, he is nowhere near a father figure" she said in an interview with USA Weekend. Despite the low sales, My December proved that Kelly Clarkson is not a puppet. She is a real artist. Still, if you want to keep your job, you got to sell records.

Apparently, Clive and Kelly have kissed and made up. Her first single from her upcoming album is "My Life Would Suck Without You" and is written by the aforementioned Martin and Luke. The song has yet to leak, but the lyrics have hit the net.

"Maybe I was stupid for telling you goodbye
Maybe I was wrong for tryin' to pick a fight
I know that I've got issues
But you're pretty messed up too
Anyway, I found out I'm nothing without you"

Could the song be about her finally repenting and admitting that Clive Davis is the man? Or could it be about the guy who got his apartment thrashed by her in "Since U Been Gone"? Here's Clive himself talking about the record.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top