The Decade: Top 100 Songs of the 2000s

"Music can change the world because music can change people." - Bono

When people ask me what my interests are, I usually feel stupid saying "music". Either their response is one of "um...duh, everyone likes music" or they assume I play an instrument (which i don't). I really love music though. I love to listen to it, I love to read about it, I love to write about it, I love to think about it, I love to talk about it, and I love to sing along to it in my car. I don't know what I would do with my life if Elvis Presley didn't strap on a guitar in 1953 and help create rock n roll. Over 50 years later, popular music has evolved into something I don't think Presley ever imagined it would be.


The 2000s were a decade when genre walls came crashing down as musicians made some of the most inventive songs in the history of popular music even as the record industry collapsed around them. The rise of music blogs and forums provided fans around the world a way to connect and share tunes and artists that would have languished in obscurity. People even consumed music in a whole new way after it went digital, including not paying for it. Despite the massive changes in the industry, consumption, and methods of popular music, its power remained the same.
Bono said music could change the world, and he was right. It's amazing how a three minute and 30 second pop song can affect you. Some of the songs on this list have given me chills. Others have magnified feelings of happiness, love, anger, or sadness that I've had. Some have done nothing but make me feel good and want to dance. However a song makes you feel, its impossible to ignore the impact that 3:30 bit of recorded music has on you.

Enjoy counting down the 100 best songs of the decade with 17 Tracks. I hope you find songs on here that change your life, even if only for a few minutes.







0 comments:

Post a Comment

top