Stephen Colbert Testifies Before Congress

     Comedian Stephen Colbert testified before Congress today on the conditions faced by migrant farm workers.

     Invited to speak at the request of Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif, Colbert cited his "vast experience spending one day as a migrant farm worker," and said that he was, "happy to use my celebrity to draw attention to this important complicated issue."

      The comedian was one of 16 individuals who volunteered to participate in the United Farm Worker's "Take Our Jobs" program where people spend a day doing the work commonly done by immigrant workers on a farm.

     "I'll admit I started my work day with preconceived notions of migrant labor, but after working with these men and women...side by side in the unforgiving sun I have to say - and I do mean this sincerely - please don't make me do this again. It is really, really hard."

     Colbert, who testified in character familiar to fans of his Comedy Central show "The Colbert Report", was commended by Lofgren for attending, but others saw his attendance as a distraction.  Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich, asked Colbert to submit his remarks and refrain from testifying, but the comedian stayed and stood up proudly for"truthiness".

     Watch the video below.  And remember, "USA, number one."


0 comments:

Post a Comment

top